Monday, July 13, 2009

Surgeon General Choice A Good One

Call me partial...I am a Family Physician. Today, a fellow family doctor was named Surgeon General. This is good news...not just because she is a member of my specialty. It is good news because Regina Benjamin gets it! She knows that preventive medicine and access to care are the keys to a healthy country.

Benjamin, 51, was nominated by President Barack Obama to be U.S. surgeon general, pledging to take her fight from a rural, impoverished outpost to the top tier of American medicine so that "no one falls through the cracks."
She said she would combat preventable diseases. Her father died with diabetes and high blood pressure, her only brother of HIV. Her mother died of lung cancer because as a girl "she wanted to smoke just like her twin brother," an uncle now on oxygen.
"I cannot change my family's past. I can be a voice in the movement to improve our nation's health care and our nation's health," Benjamin said. "I want to be sure that no one falls through the cracks as we improve our health care system."

How can you argue with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment